Navigate to chapter
► Chapter One: Chihuahuas in Focus
► Chapter Two: Chihuahuas’ Requirements
► Chapter Three: Purchasing a Chihuahua
► Chapter Four: Caring Guidelines for Chihuahua
► Chapter Five: Nutritional Needs of Chihuahua Dogs
► Chapter Six: Maintenance for Chihuahuas
► Chapter Seven: Showing Your Chihuahuas
► Chapter Eight: Breeding Your Chihuahuas
► Chapter Nine: Keeping Your Dog Healthy
► Chapter Ten: Chihuahua Care Sheet
Chapter Three: Purchasing a Chihuahua
After reading and learning about the basic facts of Chihuahuas, the next step is to know where and how to acquire this kind of breed. As a pet owner, you should be well – aware on where you will be getting your pet to ensure that the canine you will get is free from illnesses. This chapter will tackle tips on how to find a reputable breeder, where to get a healthy Chihuahua, and how to select healthy pups. You will also be provided with a list of Chihuahua breeders and websites as well as information regarding rescue adoption.
Finding a Reputable Chihuahua Breeder
Once you’ve decided that the Chihuahua is the right dog for you, your next step is to find one. Purchasing a Chihuahua might be as easy as stopping in to your local pet store since it is such a popular breed, but you should ask yourself whether this is really the best option. Many pet stores receive their puppies from puppy mills. Puppy mills are organizations that breed lots of dogs in the quickest time possible, keeping the dogs in squalid conditions. As a result of irresponsible breeding practices, the puppies are often malnourished or suffering from health problems. The best way to make sure you get a Chihuahua puppy in good health is to do your research and to purchase one from a reputable Chihuahua breeder.
Tips in Choosing a Reputable Breeder
The difference between a reputable breeder and a puppy producer is that the former spends large amounts of time and money on the best interest of the breed, while the latter is often motivated by profit. However, in order to find a good Chihuahua breeder, you may have to do some research first. Once you’ve compiled a list of several Chihuahua breeders you then need to go through them to choose the best option. You don’t want to run the risk of purchasing a puppy from a hobby breeder or from someone who doesn’t follow responsible breeding practices. Keep in mind that when you purchase a Chihuahua puppy you are making an 18 year commitment!
Here are the following things you need to do to help you find a reputable Chihuahua breeder:
- Ask around at veterinary offices, groomers, and pet stores for referrals to Chihuahua breeders and assemble as much information as you can about each one.
- Visit the website for each breeder (if they have one) and check to see if the breeder is registered with a national or local breed club
- Contact each breeder individually and ask them questions about their knowledge of the Chihuahua breed as well as their breeding experience.
- Ask specific questions about the breeder’s program and the dogs used to produce the puppies. Ask what the breeder does to prevent the passing of congenital conditions to the puppies.
- Remove the breeders from your list who do not seem to be knowledgeable about the breed or if they seem to be just hobby breeders looking to make a buck.
- Eliminate breeders from your list who refuse to answer your questions or who do not seem genuinely concerned for the wellbeing of their puppies.
- Schedule a visit with several breeders and ask for a tour of the facilities – check to make sure they are clean and that the dogs look healthy.
- Narrow down your list of breeders and make your selection – you should also ask about the breeder’s preferences for putting down a deposit on a puppy.
- Place your deposit to reserve a puppy – in the next section you will receive tips for choosing a puppy from a litter.
As an alternative to purchasing a Chihuahua puppy from a legitimate breeder, you should also consider adopting a rescue dog. Not only will you be doing your part in the war against puppy mills, but you will be providing a homeless dog with a loving home and new lease on life. There are many benefits associated with adopting a rescue dog and you might even be able to find a purebred Chihuahua puppy.
Adoption is much more affordable than purchasing a purebred puppy from a breeder and the dog is likely to have already been housebroken and may also have some amount of obedience training as well.
Want to read the entire thing?