How many calories does a Newfoundland need?
Based on the National Research Council of the National Academies, a 130-pound active Newfoundland is in need of an average daily intake of 2695kcal. For those dogs that underwent spaying and neutering, they may need a fewer amount of calories
Puppies consume more number of calories than of the adult dogs as their metabolism differs. Young Newfoundland with the weight of 88 pounds and 6 months old requires 2227kcal per day. Remember that their calorie needs depends on the size and the level of activity they have. There is a need for you to adjust their food intake if the situation demands.
What vitamins and minerals are prescribed for Newfoundlands?
- Taurine – This prevents certain heart diseases and regulates proper muscle functions. It is also a great antioxidant. This breed has a higher chance of developing taurine deficiency that might cause serious health risks like dilated cardiomyopathy, a common heart disease associated with large dogs like this breed.
- Arginine – this amino acid keeps dogs active, healthy, and away from heart diseases and cancer.
- Iodine – This is necessary to regulate the growth and rate of your dog’s metabolism. Iodine deficiency is the cause of hyperthyroidism which causes poor growth and behavioural changes.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 – Dogs need fat for their healthy diet but these fats are healthy fats of course. Omegas are found to lower blood cholesterol and lower risk of cancer.
- Calcium and Phosphorous – These two are vital in keeping bones and muscles strong which is very essential for large breeds.
How frequent should I feed my dog?
The frequency on how often you should feed your dog relies on its size, age, weight, and activity level. If your dog is more active, it requires more energy from food. It is advisable that your dog intakes the amount of food 2-3% of its body weight per day.
According to the Newfoundland Club of America, puppies whose age range between 3 months and 18 months, eat a lot as they are preparing themselves for growth but when they reach the age of maturity, they tend to eat less. The club requires that a puppy should eat 3 meals per day while a 5-6 months dog can eat 2 meals per day. The change in your dog’s diet should be made gradually for his body to adjust properly. Be careful not to overfeed your pet as an overweight dog is more prone on getting sick and catching disorders like elbow and hip dysplasia.
What should I do if my dog refuses to eat?
Do not force your dog to eat if ever he refuses. Leave the food on his reach and eventually when he gets hungry he’ll try to eat the food you’ve served. You can try to change the dog food you offer as they may become picky. Taking your dog for a walk before mealtime can help increase his appetite.
When should I feed my dog?
It is recommended for you to establish a schedule on the time you are going to feed your dog probably in the morning and in the evening. By this way, your dog will know when to expect his meal.
How often should I give treats?
Treats should only take up 5% of the total daily calorie needs of your dog. Limit giving out treats as it may cause obesity.
What type of dog food should I let my pet eat?
Foods that are rich in protein, fibre, and carbohydrates should be the kind of food you let your dog have. Buy products that are stamped by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) as they have been approved safe by the officials. You may ask your veterinarian for recommendations.